Saturday, June 17

Need a reader's opinion:

What is more important, a fan base or a feeling of creative fulfillment? Yeah, I know, its a broad spectrum and you're probably wondering, "what in the hell is he talking about this time?" Well, let me lay it out for ya by posing another question, brothers and sisters: Is it more important to play music that you don't necessarily like a whole lot but seems to go over well with the crowd, orrrr is it more important to do your OWN thing and say heck with who likes or dislikes it? That's the issue that troubles me. I mean, I love playing in front of a crowd. I love to see more than five or six people out front but every time we break into some regurgitated radio tune that has been played and played and played, I can't help but feel this urge that I should beat myself over the head with my own guitar.

So i'm waddling in the stagnant puddle of my own discontent here. I'm sure that some of you are thinking "why not do both?" Why not play covers AND originals. Which probably isn't a bad idea at all. But here's the second part of problem. The music that i'm writing now...the music that really makes the hairs of my arms stand up is nothing CLOSE to the cover tunes we currently know.

Maybe I have this urge to destroy things. Maybe my attention span is too short for my own good. Maybe...but I don't think so.

Which leads me back to the feeling that i shouldn't try to play what other people want to hear and just write and play what I really enjoy. Okay, you're right...we all want to put something out that people enjoy so in the end, artists and songwriters and mimes and hookers...they all sell out in their own odd way...even if only a little.

I mean, sure, i'm just playing in a local bar band. We haven't gone as far as adopting spandex or eye makeup or pointing guitars or black hair dye.

So it all comes down to which side of the fence you're on. Staying with a safe format and knowing that people will get up everytime you play Sweet Home Alabama, or putting out your own thing and maybe reaching a couple people.

Any thoughts?

7 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wit,
That's a tough question. Being a musician myself, I know the pain of forcing original music on people. I also know the harsh sound of crickets after you're done playing a song. But I would say this: Do what makes YOU happy. If you're having a good time, somebody will enjoy it. It might only be your mom but at least you're doing your thing

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,
Since you asked the question, I'd answer it with another question: what is YOUR objective? What's your goal? What do you want to accomplish when you get on that stage? If it is to perform a service (to the crowd), then play for them. Play something fun, familiar and contribute to making their night more fun. If it's to express yourself, then go for it! Play your stuff, and sing your heart out. Break some guitar strings. Some people in that crowd -- though not the majority -- will appreciate you for being, well YOU, and guess what...those people will be the ones that follow you wherever you go. They'll bring their friends. They'll by loyal. And they'll want you to keep being original, being different, being...YOU.
uh, um...but that's just my $0.02.

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah I was gonna say close to the same thing about depending on what ur objective is.. but knowing what i know of you i dont think you care about getting putang OR being being a cover band -insert dramatic rock star noise- STAAAAAARRRR. I think you gotta do what makes you feel good.

Jaime

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've said it once (or is that a billion times) I say play YOUR MUSIC (like you used to) be you and the heck with what "THEY" want to hear. Every song on the radio was an original until everyone on the planet heard it and other bands started to play it... let other bands start playing YOUR originals (or not).

Like everyone else said, do what makes YOU happy...that's what REALLY matters. If seeing 3 people getting into your tunes makes your head spin...I say go for it Mister. On the other hand, if you enjoy playing other peoples "originals" and seeing the crowd go wild, then go with that too....either way, I'm a loyal fan til the end, no matter what you're screaming on stage or what you write about me on the bar bathroom walls. ;)

~SummOne~

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Michael Witmer said...

well, I think i've long since passed my ability to become a professional musician for a whole number of reasons. 1. Music business is a tough racket 2. I have a family that I would hate to be away from for months at a time. 3. I'm too old...lol.

I enjoy singing the cover songs I really like but the sad truth of cover bands is that you're a jukebox and you're gonna have to play the fodder. So I guess I just need to figure that out.

 
At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From one artist to another, you know what I'm going to say. You gotta be true to your self. Be the artist you want to be. That's the only way you're going to sleep at night.

also:

FREE BIRD!!!

Jess

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here’s my better late than never comment:

Do what makes YOU happy. (guess what? Every one else said the same thing). But here’s the thing, if doing what makes you happy IS playing originals and only a handful of people show up each and every time, can you live with that? Is playing what is true to your being enough to overcome the lack of crowd at a show? And Im not saying every show would be that way, you’ve done this enough to know what works well and what doesn’t. But, whatever you choose, are you going to be happy with the outcome. Like others have said, I support you in anything you do, but you have to be content with yourself in what you’re doing.

T~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home